If you are all set with your site configuration with WordPress, the very next thing you must do is submit sitemap to google for effective search results. Submitting it gives a clear picture to google that what to index and what not.
What is sitemap and why is it important for a site?
A sitemap is a file generated in XML format which should be uploaded to your site console. It helps all search engines like Bing, Google and Yahoo to index your site in more organized way. In a simple way Sitemap helps your site to index the most important pages first and unnecessary pages in the last. You can also demote the pages which you would not like to get indexed on Search Engine results.
Know you got a basic idea that what site map is. But every newbie will get this question that, how to create a sitemap and submit to Google console or Bing console. It is very simple and just takes 5 to 10 minutes of your time. Even if it takes less time to do but it is very important and mandatory for your site’s SEO. Just follow to the below steps that how to submit sitemap to google.
Suggested Reading: How to submit your site to google search console
Firstly you must create xml file to map your site whichever pages should be indexed and displayed in search results. You need to search for a tool to create this XML file. There is a website available online to create an XML sitemap. Just navigate the site https://www.xml-sitemaps.com
You will get a form to fill just as below
- Give your site details, in the URL field. If you want to create sitemap only for a particular page, then you can give the URL of the page. It is preferable to give your site’s home page URL such as askmetip.com for the first time creation of site map.
- Change frequency to Daily (preferable). If you are updating your site’s content daily it select the frequency as Daily.
- Once if you are ready filling the details, then click on Start Button.
- Your sitemap will be created in couple of minutes. Click on save button and save the XML file in the desired location.
- If you are using a CPANEL account then login to your account and go to your website root folder and upload the XML file in your site’s root folder as mentioned in the below snapshot.
Upload the file in your site’s root folder.
Add the sitemap in Google Webmasters
Go to google webmasters by logging to your google account. Select the option Crawls -> Sitemaps
add your site map URL which looks like http://askmetip.com/sitemap.xml. You can get the sitemap URL from the site https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/, after you create the site mapxml file.
Once after you provide the URL in google console click on Test / Submit button. Firstly click on test button and then click on submit to submit sitemap to Google.
You are done submitting your site’s sitemap to google console. It takes 24 hours time to verify your sitemap to get indexed in search results. Just wait for one day and check the status.
Next Awesome tip for you : Disable social sharing buttons from the pages you do not want
If you feel this tip is useful do not forget to share this tip on your social media Facebook, Google and Twitter. If you have any other method to submit the sitemap you are welcome to submit your tip in the comments.