Google search engine is a powerful tool for many bloggers to get indexed and listed with many posts they publish. Many bloggers depended upon the organic traffic from Google and it is very important to get indexed in Giant search engines like Google. You might have checked many blogs having a Google custom search engine mentioned in their side bar or header bar. Before you use the google custom search, you must know how to add google custom search in WordPress site.
Is it necessary to add google custom search engine to your site?
Yes it is! because, it makes your site listed in Google with good structure and design. Every WordPress blog has a default search widget to be used to search the related content. You can use this search widget by giving related keywords. However Google custom search engine makes your site audience interact with related ads of Google which will make you to earn an extra income from your ad sense account. Also your blog audience.
How to add google custom search in WordPress site
I am using this benefit of adding the custom search engine as mentioned below. You can also use this feature for your site by doing below simple steps.
Now you are able to know the advantage of adding a google custom search in your site. And let us go with our topic that how to add google custom search in WordPress site. It is not much complicated task but you can achieve this very simple steps.
Firstly you must have a google account created to create a custom search and insert it in your site. After creating your account, you must sign in to Google Webmasters.
If you are not aware of creating your Google account for webmasters, then you can check this post How to add your site to Google console.
After you entered into your Google Webmasters account follow the below steps.
- Go to Webmasters account by logging in with your google account
- Select the option Other Resources in the side bar
- Now select the option Custom Search
- Give how many sites you want to search within the search box you are going to display on your site.
- If you are willing to display results only from your site, then only give your site domain. Otherwise different URL’s you may wish to display.
- Check the advanced options if you want to restrict few pages from your site from searching.
- After you fill all the fields, then click on the button Create.
Add the created search engine to your site
Now it is time to add the created search engine to your site. After you clicked on the create search engine, you will get the below results displayed.
If you would like to change few settings like changing language, enabling image search, speech input and search engine description then you can enter into the basic settings tab of the created search engine. Remaining tabs you may leave as it is with default settings.
- Now click on the button get code and copy the code displayed on your screen.
- Go to WordPress Widgets and select the place you want your search engine get displayed
- Place the Text Widget (Which comes by default for every WordPress site) in side bar or header bar where ever you want.
- Give a name to your search engine and paste the code you coped from Google custom search engine.
- Now click on save button, refresh the page and check your home page.
You are done inserting the custom search in your WordPress site. Your audience will use this custom search only to get the deserved results from your site.
Next awesome tip to read: How to install and configure SEO Yoast plugin for your WordPress site
If you feel this tip very useful. Do not forget to share on your favorite media. Share your tip about custom search engine in the comment box below.